Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Reflection of Costa Rica

Hey Friends!
Sarah Beard here. In the case you have no idea who I am, I am Andrew Beard's (the new worship leader for youth) wife. I had the opportunity to attend week two of the Costa Rica Mission. What a blessing!
Andrew and I used to lead a student ministry, so this wasn't my first rodeo...but it was my first with HPUMC Youth, and my first experience with these specific people. For me, this trip was about helping the local church of Costa Rica and building relationships.  Parents, if you have not had the pleasure of going on a mission trip with your kids, here is what really goes on.
The work was hard work. There were days when the load wasn't so heavy, but there was always something that took a great deal of effort. Mostly we mixed and poured concrete, built cinder block walls and dug ditches/moved a lot of dirt! You may not be able to pin-point a single moment when someones clothes were dry - because the labor produced sweat and lots of it! The other thing the labor produced is help for this local community, it was such a blessing for them to have free labor to get this work done! Each day on the worksite and during lunch was of my favorite things was hearing the conversations taking place. The conversation ranged from "He's the one, but..." (A fun little game that gets played a lot around here) to "Does the end really justify the means". The conversations were both shallow and really deep and both of them allowed for more understanding of each other. The best time came from those little questions we asked each other..."Attribute of you that you are most confident in...GO." and everyone answered and discussed answers.
The lunch break was awesome and provided a great little while of down time - and some DELICIOUS fresh food made by locals!
VBS to follow. Watching your kids play with the little ones was so great. Wether they were playing soccer, coloring, carrying them on their shoulders or playing chase, there was such a great spirit of the community. It is so fun to watch kids feel love from other, older, kids.
And then back to the hotel...
At the hotel we tried to get clean and we tried to eat more rice and beans and then we had worship time. This is where I am going to spend a few minutes. Worship is always an experience - you are in the open air of the jungle with sounds of nature and you are hearing the TRUTH preached, sung, and discussed.
If there is one thing I would like to tell you, parents, about your kids is that they GET AFTER IT! They take it seriously. I just got goosebumps writing that. I led worship with Andrew the first day I got there, and I could barely take it. They worship through song loud and confidently and then they sit and receive the word either through testimony from peers or through teaching and then they go to small groups.
I led the girls who are going into their senior year. I was blessed by their openness and their willingness to share their doubts, struggles, and their strengths.
Parents, encourage your children to continue these relationships and know that we, their leaders, desire to partner with you to engage in the personal and spiritual development of your kids.
All in all, this was a great time for me to get to know the heart of this youth group. And let me tell you, it is beating strong. There are seriously a solid group of kids here who just "get it". I was so proud to lead them and to work beside them. I am excited to see where we go next!

Thanks for checking in, and keep coming back! There are lots of posts to come!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment