Sunday, July 17, 2011

Costa Rica First Full Day

Regularly we'll have students update you on what we've done and what they've experienced here in Costa Rica.  Enjoy today's blog post by Reed Russ.

Today we had our first full day in Costa Rica after an interesting journey to get here, but nevertheless it was a great one. My name is Reed Russ and this is my first ever day on a mission trip, and it started early at least for me. At 8am most of us boarded the bus for a church service. The service was full of confusing Spanish, but also it really made me realize how grateful these people in Costa Rica are, and how much of a role Christ plays in their life. After a mind blowing church service, we had a delicious lunch from our hotel. I could spend all day writing about that though. Next we went to play in my favorite part of the day. Soccer. I have been playing soccer since I was 5, and I have never sweated more in my life, and also never seen a shorter rainstorm in my life. The rain came to everyone’s delight but left 1 minute later. I am convinced the weather consists of 100% humidity here. At the end it was all worth the sweat, my team won and we all had fun. We used our last energy to watch the U.S women’s team defeat in the World Cup and jump in the pool, a for sure necessity. Everyone swam and had a great time. We saw Blake Lueder do a handstand on ground and played Frisbee. The next event that happened was what blew my mind on day one. I went to the super market looking to buy rain boots, but after getting my boots our group of adults and kids ended up in a bakery. The price was nothing I have ever seen. I’m sure I could bring 100 dollars to this country and live here for a year. It’s heavenly. We bought a foot long bread for 1 dollar and five pieces of pound cake for $1.50. Like I said, I plan on moving here soon. Later on we ate a great dinner till no one could force any more food in his or her mouths, but most important we had evening worship. The worship ceremony started with great songs and an incredible atmosphere. Next we went into our small groups in which we traveled in. It helped me realize what I love most about being involved in the church. There is no one mean here, everyone includes everyone and it is a great feeling. I know I have made great friends already on the first day. Then at the end of my list I am here writing and realizing what a great day my first mission trip day was. I can’t wait for round 2 tomorrow.  

-Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment