Monday, October 17, 2011

T's Weekly Thought: What Will They Say?

Hey Everyone!

This last week I had a nice long lunch with a great friend.  I really admire this friend.  She's so beautiful inside and out.  My favorite thing about this friend is the perspective I am reminded of when I am with her.  We were discussing how hard it is to raise kids today. How to keep perspective in the midst of a world and society that often times seems to lack one.   My friend has two daughters - and we couldn't help but talk about the pressure among girls for the perfect body.  To be skinny.  No fat.  Something tells me that even though guys don't talk about it as much - the pressure is the same. Big muscles.  Strong.  Lean.

Then she said something I really liked....."I mean seriously T, I've been to a lot of funerals. NO ONE says......'Oh gosh, she was amazing.  Kind, giving - and man - she was sooooo skinny!  Great body!'"

She's exactly right.  I haven't heard anything like that at someone’s funeral either......

Something really cool happened tonight.  My family and I were out to dinner at a barbecue joint and standing right in front of us was Nelson Cruz.  Now let me tell you something........my family LOVES baseball.  And so......as you can imagine......we FLIPPED!

It looked like he was with his family......mom, dad, maybe a couple of brothers, sister, a cousin?  Not really sure.  But one thing is for sure.......he was a total and complete gentleman.  This guy - who seemingly has it all - was more than just an all-star MVP baseball player tonight.  I couldn't help but watch him as he ate.  He was a gentle giant with his mom.  As he finished eating.....a line formed - and this All-Star took pictures and signed autographs for EVERY single person that wanted one.  Here's what really got me....he handed his money clip to someone with him - and as if this person knew exactly what to do - every single staff person in the restaurant that passed was given a $100 bill from Cruz's clip. He stayed until the last person in line had gone through - and as he walked out......the place erupted.  Everyone clapped. 

It really was an incredible moment.

Incredible because Cruz didn't have to do ANY of that.  I mean - it's NELSON CRUZ.  He could have ordered, ate - walked out.  Never acknowledging all the Ranger caps in the room - dying to be signed.  All the kids (especially MINE!) - wide - eyed.......Praying that he would notice that they noticed him.  That he was kind to his family.   And so giving to the staff of the restaurant.  

What my friend said to me hit me again tonight.  Don't get me wrong.....I am sure to a whole lot of people Cruz will be remembered for his power homers, huge muscles, incredible skills.  Rightfully so.  But he obviously cares about a whole lot more than just being a baseball legend......and, my assumption is, he would like to be remembered for more than his RBI's.  As much as I love watching Cruz play baseball, I choked up watching him get a picture with my kids.....and being so incredibly generous with the wait staff.  So while baseball has got to be important to him - there's more to his story.  His value system.  Priorities. Legacy.  Something tells me......those are the things those who are closest to him, really love him for.....know about.  Value.  Will remember........

If I were to die tomorrow - I would like to think that I would be known as a decent Youth Minister of a large Methodist Church.  That I worked hard.  Accomplished a lot.

But at my funeral........I hope they would mostly say that my family was everything to me.  That I was a big fan of the underdog.  I helped people.  Was compassionate.  I tried my best in everything I did.  I was a good friend and loving sister.  A great mom who was crazy about her husband.  And that I tried my best to glorify my Savior.

I hope they would say those things because I hope that is what my life reflects. Of course shallow things seep in - I worry about my hair, my house, my body, what other people think - but my prayer is that those are fleeting thoughts/worries and that I actually spend time on those things I deem most important.  The things I would like to be remembered for.......

Bottom line.....I hate to be the one to tell you - but at your funeral - they aren't going to talk about your body.  Your house.  Your hair.  Your skin. Your muscles. Your car or how skinny you are.

They are going to talk about your soul, your heart........and the way you made them feel.

What will they say about you?

I love you.  Always will.

T

No comments:

Post a Comment