Monday, September 12, 2011

T's Weekly Thought: You Don't Throw A Whole Life Away...


Hey Guys!

Hope you are doing terrific!  I hope you know how blessed I feel to work with you all.......I have the best job in the world!

So.......every Friday Topher (my husband, for those of you who don't know) goes to a Bible study.  This past week his buddy Brent shared with the group a story about a dog he had found in the bushes.......all beat up.  Seemingly hit by a car.  Brent paid attention. He took the time to get her out.  Pick her up......take her to the vet.  Come to find out, this little dog - that Brent named Anabelle - appeared to have been it by a car.  And........was pregnant. None of the little ones living inside her were alive.  But....sweet Brent took care of her.  Got her the care she needed at a local vet.  Anabelle had surgery.....and Brent took her home.  He prayed for the best.  Giving her lots of love along the way......

Topher showed me a picture of Anabelle. Oh my gosh, she was so stickin cute that I thought - as soon as she gets better and can hold her own - I want Anabelle.  Precious. 

Sweet Anabelle didn't make it.  Brent sent an email on Saturday saying that her body was shutting down - and she just didn't make it.  I was so sad.......She was so sweet.......

But honestly - I choked up for another reason.  I was so happy and relieved that Anabelle didn't die alone in the bushes.  That my friend Brent noticed her.....and not only that - took the time.....the time to pick her up, get her help....and love her the last few precious hours of her life on earth.  Anabelle's last few hours were spent being loved and cared for. What more could you ask for?

I couldn't help but wonder how many people passed Anabelle.  Were there others that passed by - but didn't have the time, money, energy, inclination to help one of God's precious creatures in need? 

And then I thought of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37).  The great parable that Christ shared with us about how often it's actually the GOOD people that pass.......keep on walking.....don't have time to help.  To care.  To love.  And yet the most unlikely reached out.  Helped.  Loved.

One of my favorite movies is Seabiscuit.  In the movie a very unlikely horse becomes one of the all time thoroughbreds........and yet he was smaller, had a gimpy leg.....chronically beaten up!  He was one of the winningest horses of all time.  His owner - when questioned, "Why Seabiscuit??  Why such an unlikely horse?"  He replied, "You don't throw a whole life away just because it's banged up a little."  Simply one of my most memorable movie quotes.........

Anabelle was a little banged up.  In the parable......the man traveling who was beat up, left for dead.....was more than banged up.  Don't we all know someone.....a little banged up?  Someone who might need a second chance?  Someone to believe they were worth the effort to help?

You know I think about all the people each one of us encounter every single day - people we walk by, blow off, pass over- because we don't have time or energy - or we can't risk the social problems that would come along with caring for someone that's "weird"or broken.......banged up.

If you think about it - didn't Christ do that?  Didn't he pause?  Pick people up? Help them along their way?  Didn't he come for the "unhealthy"?

And he didn't only do that when He was on this earth - but didn't He do that for each one of us on the cross?  I mean....if you think about it......aren't ALL of us a little banged up?  Don't we ALL need a chance? Help?  A hand?

I'm thankful for Brent.  My friend - who saved a dog that was left for dead. 

It was a great reminder of my Savior - and what He did for me.........how selfless his sacrifice.  How great His love.

And a beautiful example of what we can be for others.......there are people ALL AROUND you every single day that not only need, but deserve a second chance.  NEED your grace. Your hand.  Your love.

Look around......and show and give Christ's love.  You never know the difference Christ's love, through you, can make.

I love you.  Always will.

T

No comments:

Post a Comment