Tuesday, September 20, 2011

LiveLove

      
     We here at the youth department knew we wanted youth to have the opportunity to live out their faith every week in a real life, serving, loving way. We wanted them to LiveLove. So about six months ago an announcement was made that we would kick off a service opportunity where Sr. High youth could LiveLove every Sunday morning. Since then, almost 200 of our youth have started serving regularly in the Cornerstone Cafe, in leading small groups in Children’s, Confirmation, and with the Jr High Thrive. LiveLove youth are greeters, are working lights, are running sound, and much more. LiveLove is literally changing the church, because so many amazing youth are being the church. 

     
     “My name is Payton Stewart and I am a senior at Highland Park High School and participate in the Live Love program. I work with the second graders by helping them come in the classroom and sit down, stay focused during the group lesson, and help lead a small group. I love being able to help these kids grow in and explore their relationships with God as well as trying to provide a good example for them. If they can see how a teenager makes time for God in her schedule, maybe they will remember this when they get busy, now or in the future. I also like getting to know kids I would otherwise never get to know. It is so joyful to have a kid ask me to sit with them, be in my small group, or even simply remember my name. They teach me as much as I teach then. They help remind me that sometimes the simple answers are the best answers. I truly love being with these kids every Sunday morning. While sometimes it is hard to keep the kids on track, I know they have learned something new about God or their faith when they leave church.” Payton Stewart

     “When I was fresh out of Confirmation and on my way to becoming a part of the Jr. High program at HPUMC, I was so intimidated by the older kids and the youth leaders and the church in general, that my faith began to weaken. I didn't go to church very often, I didn’t pray very much, and I never really thought about God. About a year after confirmation, my friend Emily told me to sign up for the spring break mission trip, so I decided I might as well go. On this trip, I was able to get to know some older girls who led my small group, and they helped me turn everything around. They showed me God’s love and they helped me to grow stronger in my faith all the way throughout my junior year in High School, and now that I am a senior I want to do the same. Livelove is a great way to be a role model in the church, whether it’s leading a 7th or 8th grade small group, or helping out with elementary kids, or even working in the sound booth. It is a way to give back to the church, as well as help others. I don’t know where I would be now if I had never met those girls, and I know LiveLove will provide great role models, just like them.”Caroline Nelson



     

No comments:

Post a Comment