Tuesday, December 6, 2011

T's Weekly Thought: Today

This past weekend I went to a Christmas party where I ran into a friend I haven't seen in a while.  As we chatted and caught up I asked her how her children were doing.  She answered, "Ya know....today was a good day."  I absolutely loved that answer.

Today was a good day.

I wish when I woke up I could think - just do good TODAY.  Be kind today.  Be a great mom - just for today.  I wish I could look at my life in "today" language.  

I think that's a super difficult thing to do.  I put an inordinate amount of pressure on myself to not just be mediocre - but instead to be darn near perfect.  Now - I fail a lot of the time - but it certainly doesn't mean I am not trying.  And so when I break that down and think - okay - hopefully I am going to live for many more years.......how am I going to achieve so much for so long?  How can I possibly work out, do yoga, jog for the REST of my life?  How can I go on being patient with my kids forever?  How can I possibly achieve so much as a youth minister for much longer?  

It can be incredibly overwhelming.

And let's be honest.  Ya'll are A LOT younger than me.  You have a lot more years ahead of you than I do.  I can't imagine the pressure to look perfect, make perfect grades, be the perfect son, daughter, sister, brother, friend.  To move WAY beyond mediocrity in sports, playing instruments, etc, etc etc.  I mean I see the pace you have to keep to "keep up" (which is just gives me a stomach ache to write about - I can't imagine the pressure of actually living it!) - it's mind boggling.  And I have to imagine that over time - that pressure day in and day out takes a toll.  Everybody's worried about the grades you're getting, the colleges you will apply to, who will accept you, where will you go, will you make the team, do you have enough friends, money, clothes, technology?

So.....HOW exactly do we do it?

The answer.........You just do it - Today.

Just today.  And then tomorrow, do it....tomorrow.  Without worrying about it....Today.

Jesus hit this spot on when he told us - "Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Over the holidays (or just life) it is so incredibly easy to get overwhelmed.  You have finals, shopping, cooking, guests......finals, shopping, cooking and guests again.  It can be super stressful.  I think if we take the time to focus on just TODAY - I think it might help.  It allows us to let yesterday go - and not worry about what tomorrow will bring.  According to Jesus, today has enough trouble of its own.  ; )

Take a deep breath.  The only thing you have to do today.....is today.

I love you.  Always will.

T

No comments:

Post a Comment