Tuesday, November 22, 2011

T's Weekly Thought: Every Last One

Last Friday I was at Preston Hollow Elementary where I was invited to a nice lunch by the Principal of the school. It was a lovely lunch given in honor of the teachers and volunteers at the school. As we sat there eating, the principal stood to say a few words about his love for the school, learning, the children, his staff......and the gratitude he felt to work in such a wonderful school - a school that you know is different, just by walking the halls. He got a little choked up. And frankly, so did I. After a beautiful prayer, we all sat and enjoyed this really nice meal together.

As I walked out of that school that day, I was so grateful. Grateful that my kids go to such a great school. With such great teachers. Have made such great friends. And are led by such a Godly man as their Principal.

Here's the really funny part. Or maybe not so funny.....

A little over a year and a half ago I went to visit that school as a "potential" place for my kiddos to go when they arrived here from Ghana. When I went to the school I sat down with the counselor and listened as she proudly told me all about Preston Hollow Elementary. I listened, was gracious - but as I walked out, called my husband and immediately said, "NOPE!" There is no way they are going to that school. It is WAY too diverse, too many kids are bused in, we don't know what kind of homes these kids are from, etc. etc. etc.

You can imagine.

I made RIDICULOUS judgments (the very ones I preach to YOU to stop making) about these kids, their families, their homes. And immediately put myself, my family, my children in "another category". This school was nice for "them" - but not so much for me.

Funny how life works out.

Our kids arrived last summer - about 2 weeks before school started. There were no choices or "alternatives". Private schools weren't taking applications 2 weeks before school started - and frankly, it just wasn't an option.

So there I was, first day of school, pulling in to Preston Hollow Elementary. With all my
judgment. All my assumptions.

YUK.

Long story short. I was dead wrong. I was so off the mark about "that school" and "those bused in kids" and "those families", etc. etc. And shame on me for ever even thinking in those terms. In those ways.

Every single Friday now I volunteer at my kid’s school. Yep. I actually CHOOSE to spend my day off there volunteering at "that school" serving lunch and picking up trash after "those kids". And let me tell you something, I love it. I absolutely love it. They are the cutest, sweetest, kindest - most humble kids I have ever met. And wow are they cool. I love their families. I love their parents. I love the sweet community.

My gosh we are sad, silly people sometimes. I mean, honestly, how many more times do I have to hear "we are all created in the image of God" to actually BELIEVE that we are ALL created in the image of God? And how limiting it is to our life and the potential we have to love to place judgments on people that just don't deserve it?

I am so grateful that God continues to teach me - or maybe that through His love, I am reminded of a better way. While I am truly ashamed of my judgment, I walk away grateful. Grateful to be reminded that making judgments on people we really know nothing about is nothing short of unkind. Real unkind actually. There should be little room in our hearts for them. Every single one of God's beautiful creatures deserves a chance.

Every last one.

I love you. Always will.

T

No comments:

Post a Comment