Monday, October 18, 2010

Weekly Thought - Week of 10/10/10



          Sometimes I feel that it is easy to forget that there are people in need in the world and in our communities.  I know that I can fall into a place where I take for granted the things that I have.  I forget that they are gifts and blessings from God.  I fear that it is really easy to remember to be grateful for the things we have and to help others during the holiday season, but harder through the rest of they year.  I have worked with some soup kitchens in the past during Thanksgiving and Christmas - and they always say they are booked with volunteers.  I think we forget that there are people in need all year round!
          This past week in Sunday School we talked about the life family of 5 with both parents that work at minimum wage.  This represents about a 3rd of the work force in the US.  The scary thing - if these parents are working 50 hours a week each, they are still short almost $1000 per month.  These families have to make up the difference so they can make ends meet.  My hope is I can remember that I am blessed by God and I can give, not out of excess, but give when there is a need.
          We also learned about Meals on Wheels - a program that helps people make up the difference in the amount of money coming in as opposed to the amount going out.  They also give some lonely people a friend for a few minutes each day!  We wrapped Christmas “presents” for the meal recipients that were hygiene items.  The sad thing is that for many of the people this may be their only present for the Christmas season.
          Not that we should feel guilty for what we have, but I hope we can remember that we are blessed when we have the basic needs to keep us clean, have clothes, and have a home.
          I was so proud of the youth this past Sunday, after we talked about the program - we went to work wrapping over 300 items for Meals on Wheels to distribute.  Each youth there did the best job they could with wrapping and the end result showed tons of love and care for each present!
          I hope that I can live a life that shares the love and blessings that Christ has given me! I hope I can share His love with others by helping when there is a need, not just the huge things but in the little things. Sometimes its the little things that make the largest difference!


Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment