Friday, October 29, 2010

Weekly Thought from Lisa - Week of 10-25-10

The other day I was reading in the Psalms.  As I read Psalm 141, verse 3 really stood out to me.  It says
            Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips.  

Wow.  That is a short verse with a powerful message.  I don’t know about you but at least once a day something (that something being words) comes out of my lips that shouldn’t.  It might be an unkind word about a friend.  It might be an angry word to my daughter.  It might be something dismissive to a clerk in a store.  It might be a sarcastic comeback to someone’s legitimate comment.  It might just be a word of agreement to a bit of gossip.

Have you ever stopped to think just how powerful words are?  I have always believed that words, that language, have the power to shape the way we think.  Our words may have a huge impact on what others think or what others believe.  When I think about how powerful words are and how easy it is to say the wrong thing it can be scary.  I mean we always talk about how a bomb can be launched with a single push of a button.  Aren’t our words like that-a single word can change a relationship, can tear someone down? 

In the same way, an encouraging word can bring a smile.  It can build up someone who is feeling down.  It can bring hope to someone who is hopeless.  Jesus’ words brought hope and faith and love to those who heard them.

I really wish God could set a guard over my lips and some buzzer or something would go off when I was about to say something I will regret.  But you know, I think God has given me the ability, with God’s help, to guard my lips.  I have been praying that God would help me think before I speak.  Think before I agree with an unkind comment.  Think before I neglect to say something kind to someone is a down.  And certainly think before I say anything that does not glorify God. 

I hope you have a great week.  And that you will think about your words and how powerful they can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment